• Services and Programs
  • Resources
  • Professional Development
  • Calendar
  • Contact
  • Search
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Illinois State Board of Education FAQs 


    Q: What is the difference between a SUB and PARA?

    A: A Sub needs to have a bachelor degree while a PARA only needs an associates degree or to take the paraprofessional test. In all circumstances, a SUB trumps a PARA. You can be a paraprofessional with a SUB certification but you cannot be a substitute teacher with only a PARA certification.

    Q: I have a masters degree why didn’t my Professional Development hours decrease?

    A: Having an advanced degree only lowers your PD hours during the cycle your degree was acquired. When a new cycle begins you will start over with the original required amount of PD hours.

    Q: Why is it not letting me renew my license when I log into my account?

    A: You will not be able to renew your license until all Professional Development hours are logged into your account. Once all PD hours are accounted for, you should have access to renew your license.  Also, be sure to update your PD/Employment Status before you attempt to renew your license.

    Q: Can I give you unofficial transcripts to upload to my ELIS account?

    A: No. We only accept sealed transcripts mailed to us from the college you attended.